So, it was with pleasure and a certain degree of pride that I recently passed the 1000 different games played mark. Of course, I haven't been keeping track of games played my whole life, but I probably played a total of 15-50 different games before I have any chance of remembering details. Further, before 2000, I didn't keep very precise records. For example, I know I've played Wiz-War, but not since 2000, and I don't remember exactly when. So, the 1000 threshold is a little fuzzy, but I can now say I've played:
- > 1030 different games in my life
- 1018 different games that I have some record of
- 1001 different games since 2000, for which I have specific logs
Some stats on the 1001 games:
- I own 52% of them.
- The average (mean) number of plays is 4.
- The median number of plays is 2.
- 47% have been played once.
- 22% have been played 5 or more times.
- 9% have been played 10 or more times.
- 1% have been played 38 or more times.
- I play at least one new game in 42% of gaming sessions.
- The average number of new games per session is 0.9
- Unsuprisingly, the rate at which I play new-to-me games has been almost monotonically decreasing over time, looking at a window of 100 new games. There was a brief upward blip the year when I first attended Gathering, when I played 54 new games in under a month, leading to 100 new games in 6 months. Lately, it takes me over a year to play 100 new games.
- Since 2000, there have only ever been 4 calendar months where I haven't played a new game. (August 2004, May & September 2005, Jun 2007)
- I've never played more than 10 new-to-me games on a single day, but I have played 10 on four separate occasions.
- I've played multiple games which begin with each letter of the alphabet, except X. I should clearly correct this, since I own at least 3.
- I still want to play more new games.
I have rated 834 games on BGG. I know there are many that I've played but not rated (I just found two looking through the "hot games" list); on the other hand, that includes expansions, as well as some multiple-games-in-one packages (e.g. the Dragon magazine collection), not to mention lots of Icehouse games that were only published on the web (would you count those separately?). And, a handful of games that I rated but haven't played (and never want to play, thus I think that counts as a 1 rating). So, I'm probably not up to 1000 yet. But maybe next year...ReplyDelete